A goddess is a female deity. Goddesses have been linked with virtues such as beauty, love, sexuality, motherhood, creativity, and fertility.
In some faiths, a sacred female figure holds a central place in religious prayer and worship
Oshun is commonly called the river orisha, or goddess, in the Yoruba religion and is typically associated with water, purity, fertility, love, and sensuality.
She is considered one of the most powerful of all orishas, and, like other gods, she possesses human attributes such as vanity, jealousy, and spite.
Below are top 8 most powerful goddess in Yoruba land.
1. Osun: the first river goddess of the Yorubas, she was one of the oldest goddess before Yemoja and Olokun who ruled the sea, she is said to be immortal like Oranmiyan and Obatala.
2. Oya: the wife of the most powerful Yoruba god, she has the abilities of her husband including whirlwind, telekinesis and weather control.
3. Aja: the healing goddess, she is said to be the one behind the earliest medicine, she lives in the forest where she has power to not only manipulate but also she could turn into different animal.
4. Oba: In Yoruba mythology, Ọba or Obbá is the first wife of Sángo, the third king of the Oyo Empire and the Yoruba Undergod of thunder and lightning. Obbá is said to be an Orisha of the river. She was the daughter of Yemoja and one of the consorts of Sángo. She is said to have given her husband her ear to eat, an event which led to her eventual flight from his presence.
5. Ayao: sister to Oya, a goddess whose powers are similar to that of her sister.
6. Mawu: the moon goddess, the first witch goddess whose powers mostly manifest at night, she was the first female priest of the Yoruba.
7. Yemoja: Osun female counterpart, Olokun (wife in some history she is regarded as his sister) unlike Olokun and Osun she is the bridge between the human world and the mermaid world, a fertility goddess, goddess of the sea tempest which believed to took control after mother Osun.
8. Egungun Oya (Oya’s daughter): being the daughter of the most powerful goddess and god She offers fortune-telling services and predictive powers. She fought her father enemies after he left and brought balance to oyo empire.
Below are their photos
How Many Do You Know or Heard Of?
Drop your comment below